Bakhoor has a long, storied history, but it has become more and more popular in recent times. Bakhoor is a scented brick made of a blend of natural materials – often woodchips. This bricks and chips are placed into a charcoal burner to help spread their fragrance throughout the home in a manner similar to that of incense.
Bakhoor can be used a simple perfume for the home or it can be used for special occasions such as weddings or parties. Whether it is formal or casual, bakhoor can make for an excellent addition to any occasion.
Read on below for some more information about bakhoor and its benefits.
How Bakhoor is made
Makers of bakhoor generally prefer to stick to all-natural ingredients so that the scents are pure, and no harmful chemicals are burned off with its use. The materials are formed into a brick-like shape and then heated to harden them. Some makers use the cooking method, where they heat the bakhoor directly on a flame. Others use the baking method where indirect heat is used.
How is Bakhoor used?
In most cases, bakhoor is placed in a traditional incense burner known as a Mabkhara. These are metal or ceramic incense burners, coming in many sizes and styles with customized designs and materials. A charcoal disc or briquette is lit with fire and then placed in the Mabkhara. Once the charcoal is glowing, a small piece of bakhoor is placed on top it. As the charcoal slowly continues to burn, it heats the bakhoor and the fragrant smoke is dispersed throughout the environment.
Once the fragrance of the bakhoor has saturated the room, the windows are opened, and the smoke is let out. The scent will remain in the room even after the smoke is gone. People who want to perfume their clothes more strongly will often hold it directly in front of the smoke for several minutes.
Benefits of bakhoor
There are many benefits of bakhoor – physical, spiritual, emotional, and medicinal.
- Calmness – The fragrances and feeling of bakhoor is known to bring forth a natural sense of calmness in both the body and mind. This is great for reducing anxiety and decreasing any sort of fear that you may be feeling. Because your nerves will be calmed, you will be more able to focus on certain tasks and perform them without any sort of jitters or second-guessing. Deep breaths allow the scents to travel throughout your body and help you to become calm with their healing properties.
- Harmony – Bakhoor is known to promote harmony and balance in both your body and mind. After a relaxing session with bakhoor, you will feel that your mind is more in tune with your body, and that you are better able to perform both physical and mental functions. Clumsiness will be reduced, and your movements will have more grace and power.
- Meditation – Bakhoor has long been used for meditative purposes across many cultures. Because it brings a sense of calmness and tranquility, you can have a better meditation session. The relaxing properties will allow you to clear your mind and focus on bettering yourself internally.
- Spirituality – It is believed that the use of bakhoor allows the person to feel at peace with the spirits around him. It is said that angels are attracted to the fragrant smoke and may bring with them good blessings when bakhoor is being used. This is why bakhoor is often used for religious ceremonies and get togethers.
- Inspiration – Many people report feeling motivated and inspired after they burn bakhoor and use it for enhanced meditation. The fumes are helpful in calming the body, thus giving it more energy to accomplish what needs to be done in the future. Being able to relax in times of stress allows you to create more focus.
- Mental Clarity – For those who have felt like they are in a fog or just can’t think straight, bakhoor has long been used to create mental clarity. After a deep breathing session with bakhoor, you will open your eyes and be ready to take on the world, no matter how difficult the task ahead of you may be.
- Balance the chakras – One of the keys to maintaining a healthy life is to make sure that all of your chakras are open, spinning, and balanced. Bakhoor can help find blocked chakras and open them up so that you can experience clarity and health throughout your day.
- Tradition – bakhoor has long been a sacred and social tradition for many cultures and Arab countries, specially in my state Bakhoor in Dubai is widely used. Burning it together can be great for promoting friendship and well-being among social groups. It can help people to connect with each other and develop empathy as well as encourage a healthier lifestyle for both body and mind.