Apple cider vinegar has a good reputation when it comes to home remedies for a variety of everyday bodily issues. One of these physical issues which apple cider vinegar is known to cure is constipation. There are no concrete researches which prove its effectiveness, then again, some people have found it to be beneficial in stimulating bowel movements.
Here, we are going to take you through how you should consume apple cider vinegar to relieve constipation, possible side-effects of overconsumption, and some more methods of treating constipation.
Constipation is the condition when your bowel movements are no longer regular, and you go days without passing stool. Plus, the stool becomes stiff and doesn’t move in the digestive system. Everyone, from every walk of life, can suffer constipation. If you are also having difficulty related to your bowel movements, you might be constipated.
Experts from Yes Wellness have suggested various ways to treat constipation with apple cider vinegar.
Treating Constipation with apple cider vinegar
Prepared by fermenting the apple juice, apple cider vinegar is usually advertised as the best possible home remedy for many health issues such as dandruff, constipation, weight loss, and even diabetes.
Though there is a lack of scientific proof, some people who believe in the effect of apple cider vinegar on constipation advocate that:
- ACV acts as a natural laxative which lines the walls of the immune system to promote smooth movement of stool in the digestive system.
- ACV contains Pectin, a water-soluble fiber which is helpful in improving the bowel movement.
- ACV contains malic acid and acetic acid, both great for boosting digestive processes.
The minor magnesium content of ACV is also said to aid healthy digestion.
Though physicians do not prescribe ACV as a treatment, some people believe that drinking ACV diluted in warm water and honey twice a day with an empty stomach can ease bowel movement.
Including ACV in your kid’s diet or bathwater or consuming it yourself while you’re already following a medication might turn out harmful. Therefore, you should always consult your doctor before using it.
Possible Side-Effects of apple cider vinegar
Consuming small amounts of vinegar might not cause much trouble for most people. However, its consumption might take a bad shape for others.
Some side-effects which should alarm you to stop ACV right away are:
- Diuretics are one of the medications with which ACV reacts. If your prescription includes these, then you might experience unusually frequent urination because of ACV.
- Direct consumption of ACV might also upset your stomach by making it gassy. You should dilute small quantities in warm water and or take it with food.
- Increased use of ACV might play with the level of minerals in your body and lower the potassium levels. Therefore, along with this, you should keep eating potassium-rich foods such as a banana.
- ACV can also affect your bone density. If you already have Osteoporosis, or at high risk of developing it, you should refrain from consuming it.
- ACV is considerably acetic, and like any other acetic drink, it can erode the enamel off your teeth and make them weaker. Plus, this acid content can also irritate your gums and throat.
To protect your mouth from such issues:
- Drink ACV in a diluted form.
- Use a straw to avoid contact with teeth and gums
- Always rinse your mouth after consuming ACV
- Due to the high acid content in ACV, it can cause skin inflammation and acne.
- Some people are allergic to ACV and experience dizziness, headaches, itching, runny nose, and other symptoms. If you feel the same after consuming ACV, you’re probably allergic to it too.
Other ways you can prevent and treat constipation
Here’s what you can do to ease your bowel movements and treat constipation:
- Exercise regularly. Even a brisk walk of 30 minutes works.
- Consume more and more dietary fiber such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Drink more and more water when your stool becomes stiff. Be it fruit juices, water, coffee, or tea; everything you drink should be water based.
- Don’t postpone your urge to use the toilet. This is one primary reason why people suffer constipation, as the digestive system’s functioning gets disturbed when you do not relieve yourself when they should.
Constipation is a condition which can arise due to the following reasons:
- When you are consuming an unhealthy diet which has lots of fats and sugar but lack fiber and moisture. Plus, drinking lesser amounts of fluids regularly, might dry up your stool.
- Sitting idle and not exercising enough can make your digestive system work slower.
- Hormonal issues such as hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, and pregnancy.
- Side-effects of medications
- Nerve disorders and rectum blockages
Though there are many ways to relieve yourself from constipation and consumption of apple cider vinegar is one of them, if you feel that nothing is curing your constipation, consult a doctor.