As a pet parent, you must have struggled to decide whether CBD treats are good for your pet or not. Problems like anxiety, hair loss, or arthritis are pretty common in dogs. CBD treats have emerged as a safe and natural treatment for treating health conditions in dogs in the past few years.
Many dog owners also vouch for its effectiveness. Brands like Honest Paws have proved to be beneficial in improving dog’s health.
But, of course, you would want to choose what is best for your dog’s health. So, here is a little guide to help you understand what CBD is and how it can help your pet.
What Is Cannabidiol or CBD?
CBD is present in the cannabis and hemp plant. It is derived from the hemp plant, so the amount of THC is significantly less in it. And, this is the reason why CBD does not give psychoactive effects like marijuana and is considered safer.
How Does CBD Work?
Just like humans, dogs have endocannabinoid receptors all over their bodies. The receptors located in the central and the peripheral nervous systems help maintain movement, coordination, memory, mood, pain, appetite, and other functions. CBD interacts with these receptors to support healthy bodily functions.
CBD provides numerous health benefits in dogs, such as:
- Reduces stress and anxiety: There are many reasons dogs face stress and anxiety; it could be due to traffic, noise, meeting strangers, etc. CBD helps to calm the body and relax their body and mind.
- Improves appetite: CBD can activate receptors in the brain that stimulate your dog’s appetite. It is also beneficial in decreasing symptoms of nausea and aids in digestion.
- Alleviates pain: Arthritis is a prevalent condition seen in older dogs. CBD relieves pain caused by arthritis.
- Prevent epilepsy or seizure: In a study, it was seen that CBD could reduce seizure episodes in about 89% of dogs and is beneficial in reducing the frequency of attacks too.
- Soothes skin conditions: Dogs are prone to many skin problems, which can be solved by giving them CBD. CBD repairs the skin barrier preventing bacteria and other allergens from entering into its body. It also helps improve skin and promotes good skin health.
Can You Give Your Dog CBD Treats?
You can give CBD to your dog as it is safe. Research from WHO suggests it is safe for dogs and helpful in treating a number of medical conditions, from anxiety to loss of appetite. CBD can be given in the form of capsules, oil, or treats.
While CBD capsules and oils are not very convenient, the most popular method is giving your dog CBD treats. These treats are infused with CBD and are available in different flavors that your pet will like. And unlike CBD oil, you don’t have to think of applying the correct dosage in your dog food.
Dog treats have a fixed CBD dosage, and you can easily control the amount of dose in your dog’s diet. Honest Paws dog treats are offered in different sizes, textures, and are dedicated to different purposes like wellness, calming, pain relief, and more. Many pet owners also give treats as a supplement for maintaining their pet’s health.
How to Choose CBD Treats?
Choosing an organic CBD treat is best as it will not contain harmful chemicals and ingredients that can hurt your pet. Make sure you choose a seller that has published the third-party lab report, listing all the ingredients so that you can be assured it’s safe for consumption. Looking at the ingredients is also essential to avoid buying products with ingredients that can trigger allergies in your dog.
Also, choose hemp treats that are made of hemp-derived CBD. Hemp-derived CBD is legal and safe for consumption. The source of hemp is another critical thing to check. American grown hemp is considered the best quality.
What Is The Right Dosage For Your Dog?
To get the desired results, you will have to give the proper dosage of CBD. More CBD treats do not mean more benefits. Even though CBD is not addictive, you have to be cautious of the dosage you are giving to your dog. Overdose of CBD can have a few side effects, like upset stomach, dry mouth, low blood pressure, or dizziness. Make sure you follow the recommended dosage mentioned on the product. Brands like Honest Paws also mention the dosage on the website.
Usually, the recommended dosage is based on the weight of the dog. But if you notice any unusual signs, you may adjust the amount of dosage. Smaller doses are considered the best if you are starting. And after some time, when your dog’s body has adjusted to it, you can increase the dose of CBD.